Tilbury

About Tilbury

Tilbury (2006 population 4,809) is a community within the municipality of Chatham-Kent, Ontario, Canada. It is located 26.5 kilometres southwest of Chatham and 57.3 kilometres east of Windsor on Highway 401.

Background Information & History

The nearby townships of Tilbury West in Essex County and Tilbury East in Kent County were named for the port of Tilbury in the English county of Essex. A settlement, called Henderson after the local postmaster, was established with the construction of the Canada Southern Railway in 1875. The name of the post office was changed to Tilbury Centre after the adjoining townships and the community was incorporated as a village in 1887. The name changed again to Tilbury a few years later and incorporation as a town followed in 1910. Tilbury is also home to the largest antique mall in Southern Ontario. Tilbury is also famous for its murals which depicts part of its history.
A mural in Tilbury showing its automotive history.

In 1998, the town was amalgamated with the City of Chatham and all municipalities of Kent County to form the municipality of Chatham-Kent.

All information about Tilbury courtesy of Wikipedia.